Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Running

Three years ago I started running.  I had wanted to start, but found reasons to put it off.  It's too cold out, it's too hot out, I ate within the last hour (I figured that rule worked for swimming, it sure must work for running).  Then I decided I should just do it.  But, I needed something to focus my attention on and found the Harrisburg Mile.  Each July, there is a one-mile race in Harrisburg.  It's a pretty big deal.  Much bigger than I thought when I signed up.  But, ignorance is bliss they say, and I signed up.  I trained two months to run 1 mile.  Seriously.  It took me 2 months to run one mile consistently.  But, I trained and I ran it.  I finished last, because as I said it's a pretty big deal.  People RUN this.  And I mean like in 5 minutes.  Like I'm at the halfway point and they are done.

The following year, I ran it again.  Trained a tad bit less and honestly felt like crap that night.  I walked a little bit, but finished in sooner than the year before.  It was a hot and humid night and I was happy to see the finish line and the nice medic people who put me in front of a fan and gave me lots of water.  I needed it!

And all this reminiscing?  Well, that's because it's Harrisburg Mile night and I'm going at it again.  I haven't run in two weeks.  It's just been so darn hot.  And honestly, I should keep my mouth shut on that one.  My very good friend just ran a half marathon in the same type of weather I'm complaining about running 2-3 miles in.  But, I've been kinda lazy and haven't run.  So, wish me luck tonight!  I have to run one mile in this icky weather.  And hoping I can do so faster than I did two years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still in training to actually get out and go running! I'm sure you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW there was something I was supposed to post in here! Thanks for the reminder. Will do so tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete