Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I wanted cake

So, we hit the grocery store the other night and all I wanted was cake.  Yup, I wanted a slice of cake.  It may have been because we hadn't eaten dinner yet.  Yes, yes, I know never go to the grocery store hungry.  We stuck to the grocery list, thankfully.  But, I wanted cake.

We missed garlic powder somehow, so we headed back to that aisle.  As we walked down the aisle, I saw the sugar-free/low-sugar mixes area.  And I saw this:
Now, I'll admit, I've tried baking with Sweet n Low before and it ended in disaster.  I made chocolate chip cookies with Sweet n Low and all they tasted like were chocolate chips and Sweet n Low.  Based on that, I have been a tad bit hesitant to bake with it again.  Sure, I use it in my coffee and tea, but baking?  I just wasn't sure.  But, the mix was less than $3.00 and I really wanted cake.  So...
I bought the mix.  Came home and made it.  It's pretty simple.  Take the dry mix, add 1/2 the water, blend for 3 minutes.  Add the rest of the water, blend for 3 minutes.  Pour into pan.  Bake.  Pretty simple.  I used an 8X8 pan (my brownie pan) and it came out a bit...how shall I say this...wavey.  LOL!  The top was not flat like when I put it in the oven.  

I also bought this, but without the strawberries
I thought between the cake and chocolate dip, it would be a nice, low-cal dessert.  And I was half right.  The cake?  Basically tastes like yellow cake.  Seriously.  If I hadn't made it known it was sugar free, I would have just thought someone forgot the baking power and the cake was a little flat.  It might be a tad bit dry, but the taste itself is really good.  Two thumbs up.  And since I put it in a brownie pan, I got 9 good sized squares of cake.  :-)  The Walden Farms Chocolate Dip?  Awful.  I have had their salad dressings before and like them.  They are a bit watery, but for a good tasting sugar-free salad dressing, they are darn good!  Apparently, that doesn't translate into chocolate dip.  It just had a weird taste, nothing like chocolate at all.  Still trying to decide what to do with the jar as it is awful and I won't be eating it again...

Last night I decided to experiment with the toppings.  So, I tried 

 with


It was oh so much better than the Walden Farms Chocolate Dip!  I was sooo thrilled with the taste.  I over did on the cinnamon a bit, but overall, very good. 

Tonight, I tried my last chocolate option.  A very tasty European treat

I admit, after touring Europe for 2 weeks last year, we kinda fell in love with Nutella.  We've had a jar in the cabinet ever since.  We use it on frozen waffles, we make peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches, and now...CAKE and NUTELLA!  I added a bit of coarse decorating sugar



and oh my.  I was in love!  Right now, the Nutella is the clear winner in toppings.  Sure, it's not sugar-free, but it's ah-mazing! 

So, I can have a slice of cake with Nutella topping without killing my diet.  Ahhhh...the simple joys in life....

1 comment:

  1. Nutella is a great frosting for cupcakes! I make gluten free cupcakes & freeze them so I can have one when I'm having a craving. Nutella on top gets rid of the "freezer" taste. lol

    ReplyDelete