Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What do you eat?

 
I just looked at a Runner's World article about running on empty.  I was a little surprised to see it.  Apparently, runners are starting to experiment with not eating before a run, which after about an hour of running will have you dipping into your fat reserves for energy.


Why was I surprised?  Because I have always run without eating before hand.  Anytime I've tried to run after eating anything, I felt sick.  Especially if it's hot out.  So, for about 4 years I never ate anything before a run, no matter the length.  I just felt too scared to eat something.

Then during a long training run for Philly last fall I crashed.  I went out for (I think) a 12 mile run and when I came home I felt like death.  I couldn't eat. I wasn't hungry.  My stomach hurt.  I think I messed with my electrolytes or some such.  I didn't feel well for three days.  It was after that run I figured I needed to eat something before a run...even though I had never needed to before.  (I wonder to this day why I need to eat something before a long run now when I never did before...)

So, I started eating half a peanut butter sandwich before a long run.  I didn't eat anything before Philly and I felt just as bad as I did after that training run.  Dumb mistake.

I haven't made it since.  Long runs (8+ miles) have me eating that half a slice of bread with peanut butter before heading out.  I freaked before the Shamrock Half Marathon because I forgot to pack it.  I grabbed crackers with peanut butter and had that.  Completely worked.

So, while I still don't eat anything before going out for a run of under 8 miles, I think it all depends on the person in question.  What about you?  Do you eat before a run?  Only before long runs?  Never eat before a run?

2 comments:

  1. I never eat before a run under about 8-10 miles. For longer runs I'll have a serving of Hammer Gel and take a water bottle. If the run is going to be longer than 2 hours, then I add Perpetuem. Depending on the weather, I'll also take Endurolytes. (http://www.hammernutrition.com/)

    This worked during marathon training and for the marathon I ran last month. I also think it's trial and error by person - what your stomach can or cannot handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input Kathy! I use sports beans before a shorter run sometimes if the weather is really hot. I don't need too many calories for a quick few miles, but I know I need something.

    And yes, it's trial and error on the person. What works for me might not work for you. Hoping people might see some ideas for themselves to try.

    ReplyDelete