Saturday, September 22, 2012

Shin splints

So...yesterday I was thinking at work I have 4 weeks til the Atlantic City Half Marathon.  I had about that much time before Philly last year when I came down with a wicked upper respiratory infection that knocked me out for about 2 weeks.  I thought, I'll be fine as long as I don't get sick.

I didn't take into consideration injury... As I walked back from lunch all of a sudden both shins started hurting. Really hurting. Ugh. I slowed down my walk and didn't push myself throughout the afternoon, but the pain didn't go away.

After returning home, hubby showed me how to foam roll the shins and I tried, but man did it do a number on my upper body! I used his stick, then iced it down.  We have fencing on Friday nights and I decided not to participate in actual fencing, but I still went. I ended up directing all night. I'm not great at it, but I seemed to improve throughout the night.

We came home and I sat on the couch and thought the shins felt better than before class. I decided not to run this morning (11 miles), but rather take the bike out. I thought this was athletic, but less stress on the legs.

Got up this morning and shins felt as bad at they did when I came home from work.  Ugh. So no biking for me.

This sucks. I am going to take some time to let them heal, if that is possible. If I miss my run next Saturday, so be it. As long as I feel comfortable to run the first weekend in October, I can still pull off the AC Half Marathon. It won't be a PR, but I think I can cross the finish line.

Any advice?  I'm totally open to any and all suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment