Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy

I write this post just hours after the explosions in Boston and I am sure between the time I finish this post and the time it posts, more information will be out about it. I'll be honest, I've never really cared about running Boston. I get the mystique of this race. I get the desire, training, blood, sweat, and tears that go into qualifying for it. I respect those who fight tooth and nail to get there. It just was never for me.

While I don't think I'll ever run it myself, I'll be honest the first thought I had was I will qualify to run it next year to honor those who were effected. This is laughable. My best half marathon time was 2:51:15. Qualify for Boston in a year? That would mean I would need to run a marathon, then run it fast. But, it was my first thought. Run Boston. Don't let whoever did this think they can stop people from living their dream.

Today, let's remember all those whose dream was turned into a nightmare because some terrorist (no matter who or what did this, they are a terrorist) felt this was the appropriate method of voicing their disagreement with something that I will bet has nothing to do with running, racing, the Boston Marathon, or large city races.  I don't care if you crossed the line, were crossing when it happened, or hadn't gotten that far yet, this day will always be tainted. My heartfelt prayers and love to everyone involved - runners, family, police, fire, EMTs, doctors, nurses, National Guard, volunteers, blood donors, and locals - who were involved in anyway. This will not stop runners. We are a strong group and we will run in honor and in memory. God Bless everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment