Friday, May 3, 2013

April Books

It's that time again! Monthly book review. This month I read even fewer books than last month (only by 1 though!), but that's ok. It happens. It seems like I'm averaging 8-9 books a month. Without further ado, here are this month's books:

1. The Frenchman's Revenge by Taylor Lee (April 6, 2013)
2. How To Be A Totally Awesome Zombie by Melody Litton and Travis Thorton (April 6, 2013)
3. The Girl With The Cat Tattoo by Theresa Weir (April 8, 2013)
4. Out of Time by Monique Martin
5. Mistress Trevelyan by Jennifer St. Giles
6. Wild One by Danelle Harmon
7. The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper (April 28, 2013)
8. Plague Zone by David Wellington (April 28, 2013)

Top Books
1. The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper was probably the only book I would put in the Top Books list this month. I'll explain why a little later. I picked this book up because I am trying to find as much wisdom as I can to find the key to losing weight. The 20 rules are pretty straight forward and simple. Honestly, they aren't earth shattering or complicated. 

I enjoyed the tone of the book, as if Bob really is talking to you. He recognizes some of his rules aren't easy and he gives step down methods if going straight off is too tough. Once you are through the rules, you move onto the menus for the four weeks needed to start a new habit. The last chapter are the recipes for the menus in chapter two. 

This is what I will say. It's in hard back right now and at Barnes and Noble's cost me $28.00. I later saw it on Amazon.com for $15.00. If you are going to pick this one up (as much as I hate to say it), go the on-line route. $13.00 isn't to be sneezed at.

Don't Read
This was hard. I didn't find one that stood out like other months as being a bad book. I'll be honest, there is only one that I would say even comes close to don't read and so I will place that book here with why I only feel it's half a don't read.

1. The Frenchman's Revenge by Taylor Lee was a bit Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde honestly. The storyline itself was good with a half-French/half-Chinese man taking charge of a gang in California that takes on the corrupt California government. It is a romance as well with the main character focusing on marrying his love during all the action. The issue I have with the book is that while a romance novel may have sex scenes, the ones in this novel were exceedingly graphic and long. I finally got to the point where I skipped them altogether and just read the part about bringing the renegade gangs to heel. That part was well written, engaging, and kept you wanting to read.

I will say, this month many of the books were ok. Not fantastic, but not horrible. They were entertaining, but not jump up and down shouting about how fabulous they are. I enjoyed Out of Time (which is part of a serialization I can't quite manage to read in order) and Plague Zone. Out of Time follows a professor and his assistant as they are jerked back to New York City 1929. They must find a way to survive until the next eclipse of the moon in six weeks. The two take jobs in a speakeasy and must help bring down a supernatural being before they possibly make it home. Plaque Zone follows the travels of a man whose family is killed in the first wave of the Zombie infection. He goes from Chicago to California to Seattle to avenge their death by locating the zombie who killed them. Along the way he has to dodge zombies himself and the Colonel who set himself up as despot in the area around Seattle. These two books were good, but not great. I would recommend them for their entertainment value, but they aren't the best of the best.

What did you read this month? Read anything great? Share with me! I'm always looking for a new book!


No comments:

Post a Comment