Monday, June 3, 2013

Motivational Monday

Give yourself some
DAMN CREDIT.
Quit short changing
YOUR EFFORT.
Stop pretending 
IT DOESN'T MATTER.
Don't downplay
HOW AWESOME YOU FEEL.
Be proud. Smile.
AND HONOR HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME.

 
Friday, as I walked the Zooma Annapolis race expo, I ran across Fellow Flowers. The first thing I saw was a card. A card that resonated with me. When I picked it up to read it, my hubby agreed this card was me.


The first line is me. I don't give myself any credit, let alone some credit. Some credit would be a huge improvement. I don't think it's uncommon for people to toss aside what they have accomplished and focus on what they haven't reached or what they failed at. I think we have a tendency to see what we haven't accomplished and micro analyze that. What should I have done? Where could I be if I hadn't done x? Why is everyone else reaching their goals, but I'm not? We are a forward thinking nation, not one that celebrates the past.

Obviously I'm a failure. Yea, yea I ran a half marathon (or six), but I can't run it in an average time. I suck. Yea, yea I I've lost and kept off 35 pounds for over 10 years, but I keep losing and gaining the next 25 more. I suck.

I keep trying to lose weight. But, you know what? I don't have the faith that I can do it and keep it off. I don't focus on my successes. I focus on the failures. I allow those failures to define me. Why? Why do I let set backs define me when in reality all they are are a blip on the screen? Why do I allow them to have such power over me? I have accomplished so much that I never thought I could. Run a race of any distance, let alone a half marathon (that's 13.1 miles!), get under the 200 pound mark and NEVER go back, actually do TRX when the first time I saw it I laughed at how I could NEVER do that. If I can do all of that, why can't I think I can do anything I want?

So my friends, this card is getting framed.  It is going on my desk. I am going to LIVE this card. I am going to give myself credit, I am going to acknowledge all my efforts, I am going to let people know it matters, I am going to shout from the rooftops how awesome I feel about stuff, and I am going honor how far I've come everyday. I challenge you to do the same. Write out all the fantastic things you have done and honor them. Share them. Post them. Revel in them. Reward yourself for them. You are so worth it.

Join me in changing our mindsets. Join in the challenge to give yourself some damn credit! Let's show that little voice inside our heads that it's wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment