Monday, July 1, 2013

Motivational Monday

The error isn't being who you are,
the error is not seeing who you can become.

How many times do we think there is something wrong with us because of who we are? Because of who we think we are? We can't run as fast as we want, we don't eat healthy, we blew off our workouts this week. We didn't finish that report at work, we forgot to send that birthday card, we didn't do the laundry. Because of all the things we don't do that we think we should, it's not a reflection upon our lives, it's a reflection upon us. There is something wrong with me not the situation.

The problem is we get bogged down by these seemingly important screw ups and internalize them. Once we believe them it's hard to see they aren't us, they are just blips on the radar and aren't a reflection of our true selves. They aren't a reflection of who we can become. If this is who I truly am, how can I grow? How can I set goals that go against my perceived perception of myself?

Easy. Those blips aren't the real you. Those are simple mistakes that you would tell a friend to get over. A simple mistake doesn't define your friend and it doesn't define you (or me!). We can all become who we want to be, it's just taking the time to see it. It's hard to shake off the image we have in our heads of who we are and say, "That's not me. I'm a confident, successful, motivated person who can accomplish anything I set my mind to." It's true! All those people we look up to, whether they are in our professions, sports, music, or fill in the blank, they have days where they can't imagine they can do what they have to. They doubt. But, they trust they can...and they do! 

I want to shed the idea that there is something wrong with me. I want to know that I will reach my goals. There was a time I never thought I could finish my MA. I did (Dec. 2009). I never thought I could run. I can (I've run countless 5ks, several 10ks, 2 8ks, and 6 half marathons). I didn't think I could change careers. I did (I followed my love of history and now work in an archives). It can be done. Goals can be reached. We just need to realize that it truly is just ourselves that hold us back.

Let us vow to change that. Let us challenge ourselves to see who we can become. We have a long life ahead of us, let us make it the best it can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment