Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I thought I was smart...

I'll be honest, I don't think I'm a genius but I do think I am fairly intelligent. I like to read, I like to learn new things, I like meeting new people (alright, in limited numbers at a time. I still am slightly introverted!). I want to know as much as I can on a subject that interests me.

I saw this quote yesterday and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I cannot remember a time when I was not claiming I was "trying to lose weight," "working on a healthy lifestyle," or "starting over." It's been a very long time and it may have started when the year started with a 19.

Yet, I believe I am a smart person. So, where does this leave me? It makes me think of the quote...
I know what I need to do. I know how I need to eat. I know I need to exercise. I know I need to put myself and my needs first. And yet, I am 38 years old and am still trying to lose weight. Still trying to hit a goal that has shifted over time.

How can a person who believes themselves intelligent continue to do the same thing and anticipate it not ending the way it ended for the past 26 years? I really do think every time I try, I think it's going to end differently, but I always fall back into old habits.

And that's the issue. I fall back into old habits, but still think that I will be successful. How can I be successful when I know my bad habits are not going to get me to my goal? How can I be successful when I know not exercising is not going to help me burn calories to cut the fat?

So, thank you From Fat to Fit Chick Tanee for posting this and making me think. It was a fantastic quote that really hit home.

How smart are you? Feel free to share with me your smart behavior because I apparently have a lot to learn!


4 comments:

  1. According to Albert Einstein, I'm Insane. Not smart. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea...I'm with ya. Maybe this is why we're friends? ;-)

      Delete
  2. I am so smrt! I am so smrt! S-M-R-T!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shush! If you can't bring something productive to the table...

      Delete