Monday, October 6, 2014

Motivational Monday

There are things in life we do not like to do. We tells ourselves we hate this or that so we avoid it. We make up excuses as to why we don't do it - too hard, not hard enough, hurts, I can't do it, I'm not this person, people will laugh at me, people expect it of me, people don't expect it of me. I'm sure you can think of many, many more.

But, you know what? We can do them. I'm almost the queen of procrastination. I have read recently it is a characteristic of Libras, which is nice to know I'm not alone. LOL! But, I put off things I should do until the very.last.minute. Or I don't do things because they might hurt, I'm not good at them {only child syndrome - don't want to do something until I can do it perfectly}, or I'll look stupid. Those are my top reasons.

But this weekend I ran a 5k race that involved the one thing I hate doing in races - hills {I didn't realize how hilly it was going to be when I signed up}. The race was more than half hills. The first half of the race was uphill, then the last half mile was uphill as well. It was rough. It was not pleasant, but I found something out about myself - I did not die.

Yup, I ran this race to the best of my ability. I ran the hills {minus two, because I'm just not in good enough shape right now} and the last hill before the finish. I'm particularly proud of that. I earned that medal. I may have finished in the last 10, but I ran a great race for me.

Apparently, I can do the things that I tell myself I can't. Running hills is right up there with things I hate doing, but believe it or not I did it. So, next time you tell yourself you can't do something, maybe you just can.

Have you done something you didn't think you could or just don't like doing and found it wasn't so bad?

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite quote: Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't - you are right". The way we look at things makes all the difference. I used to hate hills and now I see it as challenge and be proud of tackling them. And I am so much better at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good quote! I think of that at times too and really should remember it when I say "I can't." LOL! Though last night I said that to my trainer when we wanted me to do the stair climber. I have tight hip flexors which were killing me yesterday, so I think that's one time when I can't might be the smart move. :-)

      Delete
  2. You finished faster than you thought you would, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. But, I figured it would take forever {which compared to the other runners, it did} because of all the hills. It took forever, but at least I ran the hills.

      Delete