Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I've been tagged....twice!

This is the very first tagged post I've ever done.  There were times where I stole stuff from other bloggers, but never has another blogger tagged me for a post.  I'm very thankful that not one, but two fabulous ladies tagged me, Jill from Just Jill and Heather from Will Run For Coffee.  Thanks friends!  Hopefully I'm not too boring.  ;-)

Here are the rules: 

1. Post these rules
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions set for you in their post
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
5. Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them
6. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people!

11 Random Things About Me:

1. I spent 12 years in Catholic school - Most Holy Redeemer Elementary School and Gloucester Catholic High School.  I then went onto a Brethren College - Elizabethtown College.  I finally got out of the private school thing when I attended PSU for my Master's.

2. I've had one paranormal (if that's what it might be) experience.  I was driving through the Gettysburg Battlefield in 2006 for work.  I was traveling to Chambersburg for work, which at the time was fund raising.  As I rode through the battlefield, I thought about how much I wish I did something that involved history.  Then, the most intense feeling of knowing that I should be doing something in the history field.  The feeling lasted the entire drive through the battlefield.  It was disconcerting to say the least.  I put it out of my mind when I got to Chambersburg and did my job.  But, on the way back through the battlefield the same feeling came back, though not as strong.  It made me realize I didn't want to do my job anymore.  I changed jobs (more fund raising), but went back to school for my MA.  I am just now getting into the history field by working in an Archives.

3. My engagement ring in an opal.  It's my birthstone.  I don't mind diamonds, but I didn't want one.  So, I knew if anyone proposed to me with a diamond we shouldn't get married.  Hubby proposed with a large teardrop opal...with 12 diamonds surrounding it.  :-)

4. I have a small immediate family, but a large extended family.  I am an only child, so it was just mom, dad, and me.  Then just mom and I went my father passed away. But, my grandfather was one of seven.  He and my grandmother had eight children.  Those eight children had nineteen grandchildren.  And no there's eight great-grandchildren.  So, if you're keeping count, that would be 45 people, but my father passed away and my grandfather has now passed away, so it's 43 people.

5. I don't eat chicken, ham, pork, steak, or mushrooms.  Yea.  I'm weird like that.  Oh, did I mention I do eat turkey, bacon, and ground beef?

6. When there's nothing on, I tend to seek out re-runs.  What do I look for most?  M*A*S*H*, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Hogan's Heroes, random Food Network shows, or Travel Channel shows.

7. Growing up we barely traveled.  My father was so ill he couldn't be more than an hour away from his doctors.  Since I graduated college, I've been to five countries (England, Jamaica, Canada, Italy, and France) and about 10 states (Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nevada), though no further West than Las Vegas.  One day I'll see the Pacific...

8. I've had the police tell me twice "I don't know how you're alive."  Once from a car accident in high school.  My car was rear-ended at a traffic light and when the police came I was told the only seat in the car that wouldn't have been killed or seriously hurt was the driver's side.  The other time was in college.  I worked at a retail store in the local mall when a robbery went wrong.  The store I worked in had four bullets lodged in random places.  When we were cleared to leave the back, the police asked us how none of us were hit by one.

9. I have a fascination with pens.  I have thousands of them.  And when traveling that's what I tend to bring home as a souvenir.

10. I'm a born and bred Jersey Girl.  I grew up in South Jersey (and don't ask what exit I'm from because we don't use the Turnpike).  I'm very proud of my state and can get very annoyed with people who think it's the worst state in the county.

11. If I could, I would move to London.  I went there for the first time in 2000 and fell in love.  My Grandmother is British and met my Grandfather during WWII.  My mom and I traveled to Northampton to attend my cousin's wedding and spent time in the city before heading 2 hours north.  The feeling stayed when we went back in 2010.  If I didn't have the kitties, I would be seeking employment and counting the minutes til I move...

My 11 questions for tagged bloggers


1. If you listen to music while you run, what's your "power song"?
Good question. It depends on what I'm addicted to at the time.  When I first started running I listened to Avril Lavign (sp?).  Then it really just became whatever was fun.  Lately, I've been listening to The Jane Deer Girls a lot.  

2. Which race has been your favorite so far?


I think my favorite race I've run is the Kelly Shamrock St. Patrick's Day 5k.  The race starts at 1:15 p.m. on a Sunday (which for us non-morning people is AWESOME!) and is the start of the Baltimore St. Patrick's Day parade.  But what makes this an amazing race is it starts at the top of Charles Street and starts downhill.  If you run at the back of the crowd, you get the most incredible view - all the runners in their green running gear stretched out in front of you.  It truly is an amazing sight!  This year I am bringing a camera to grab that image!

3. What's your favorite training plan?
Jeff Galloway.  When I trained for the Princess Half Marathon, my plan called for random mileage throughout the week, with long runs on the weekends.  The long runs were fine, but the weekday mileage killed me.  I read through Jeff Galloway's walk/run program and loved his beginner program where you run 30 minutes twice a week and then long runs.  PERFECT!  I didn't feel pressured to run 3 mileage runs during the week, I don't feel stressed if I miss a weekday run.  AND I finished stronger and faster at the Philadelphia Half Marathon than I did at the Princess Half Marathon. 

4. What's your go to post run fuel/food?
Generally, donuts.  LOL!  After my long runs on Saturday, hubby and I hit up DD and get breakfast - a medium iced blueberry coffee, a breakfast wrap, and one donut.  :-)  After a race, it depends on where we are (after Princess I had a waffle at the Magic Kingdom, after Philly I had pancakes at Little Pete's.  After shorter races, we either hit up DD or Panera.).
 
5. Do you reward yourself after a big event?
Depends....
 
6. If yes to #5, what do you do to reward yourself?
Generally just with a fun dinner.  I've toyed with the idea of massage, but never have.

7. Have you motivated others to run?
I think one person.  LOL!
 
8. Who motivated YOU to run?
My friend Kim.  When ever I said I couldn't run, she disagreed with me.  She said if I really wanted to, I could.  I didn't have to be fast, but I could do it.  So, I tried.  I found a 1 mile race and trained to run 1 mile.  And I did.  I ran one whole mile.  :-)  I ran 1 mile for about a year before thinking maybe I could run a 5k.  And Kim was there again, encouraging me telling me I could do it.  And I did.  And she encouraged and pushed all the way to my first half marathon in February 2011.

She's an amazing person and an amazing runner.  She is everyone's running guru and and knows all.  LOL!  And right now, she's wounded.  So, if you've got any prayers or positive thoughts, my running friend could sure use them as she is healing from surgery in August, but is still in pain.  

9. Is running part of a bigger journey for you, or is it just something you do?
I'm not sure.  At this point, it might just be something I do.  It seems odd on a Saturday morning not to get up and go for a run (unless it's snowing, then for some reason it seems perfectly acceptable).  Though, I do use it as a form of exercise and am using it as my cardio exercise to lose the last 25ish pounds.
 
10. What's your favorite time of year to run?
Winter.  Hands down.
 
11. Is running a solitary event for you, or do you share it with others? (I run with my husband for the most part, but do enjoy running with friends from time to time.)
Solitary.  I'm too slow to run with others.  No one wants to run with me because no one wants to run at my speed.  :-(  But, in general it's o.k.  But, I will say it's hard at races because I'm not used to all the people running around me and the crowds.  I'm the weirdo who's not a big fan of crowds and all the cheering.  I do much better on those lonely stretches where most people complain for lack of crowd support.  LOL!

Who I Tagged

Earn Your Donuts 

OK, I apparently read a lot of blogs, but don't comment, because these are the only people I feel confident tagging.  LOL!  

My 11 questions for tagged bloggers

1. If you're a runner, what was your first ever race?
2. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
3. What's your favorite sport to watch?
4. When you were a kid, did you play any sports? If so, which one/s?
5. With the Olympics coming up this summer, do you prefer the winter or summer games?
6. With that being said, what is/are your favorite sports in the games you chose?
7. What food do you wish had no calories?  Or drink?
8. Show some blog-love, what blog do you love to read?
9. What's you're favorite vacation spot? Why is it your favorite?
10. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
11. Do you have a saying you live by or just a favorite quote? 


Have at it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I got tagged! :) This is a great post, I really enjoyed learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, YES, you for sure need to snap a picture at this year's Shamrock race so we can see what you're seeing out there. I love shots like that. My husband thinks I'm a total nut for running all of these half marathons with a camera in my hand the entire time. I'm just impressed that my sweaty hand hasn't broken that camera yet. It has endured a lot! lol

    I prefer the Galloway plan, too! For the same reasons you do. I don't feel as though I'm wearing myself out during the week....and stepping into my weekend long run exhausted.

    PS.....I am obsessed with people from Jersey, and I have no idea WHY. It's an illness. I don't was Jersey Shore, though. I do looooove Jerseylicious, though! Team Olivia all the way. :)

    ReplyDelete