Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sore

...doesn't even begin to describe it.  Sunday I had my third training session with my YFit trainer.  The first two sessions focused on learning the machines - cardio and weight.  Very nice and informative.  Not too much pain.  Then Sunday was session three.  Which I thought would be a discussion/planning of how to reach my goals. 

Oh how I was wrong.  Mike, the evil trainer, came up with a routine that gives you a cardio and weight workout in about 15 minutes.  Basically it is three sets of four exercises done three times. 

Example:

30 seconds of Weight Push-Ups done three times (10 second  break)
30 seconds of Right Arm Kettle ball toss done three times (10 second break)
30 seconds of Left Arm Kettle ball toss done three times (10 second break)
30 seconds of Over Arm Raises with squats (1 minute break)

Then next set of 4 done as above, followed by the last set of 4.  It took an hour to get through the routine - learning the moves, then doing them three times.  At the end of the routine I was pretty shaky.  That's what happens when your last exercise are planks.  I decided at the end of the workout I was done.  No need to do anymore.

And then the pain started.  After getting out of the car, my legs were sore.  Ugh.  Then I proceeded to do what I always do on Sunday...nothing.  Sat on the sofa.  And every time I got up, the legs hurt more. Bah!

Got up on Monday.  Sore.  Really sore.  At work, I spent the afternoon walking up a step ladder and kneeling on the ground.  It was not pleasant.  Then hit the gym.  I was going to lift, but decided against it.  Legs sore.  I did use the treadmill and bike.  Then I saw my trainer at the desk.  I told him I could barely walk and he kinda laughed as he said no.  Yea dude.  Barely walk.  Pain with every step.  He kept laughing. This is when I called him evil.  I admitted I can run a half marathon, but squats are apparently out of the question. 

Tuesday, I was still in pain.  So, I skipped the gym.  I made the executive decision that I should give my legs a rest.  It was nice.

And this morning my legs felt a bit better.  They weren't perfect, but better than yesterday.  I was encouraged.  As the day progressed, the legs weren't as happy as this morning, but they were workable.  So, I went to the gym after work for my 30 minute run.  It didn't quite make a 30 minute run.  It became a 15 minute run with a 30 minute walk.  It was better than nothing.  Then I hit the weight machines.  All was ok over all.  I decided to skip the two that work the quads.  I thought that was asking too much.  Kinda forgot that one of the machines works the quads secretly.  It hurt.

So, here we are.  At the end of day 3 and my quads still hurt.  My left one more than my right.  I am hoping tomorrow brings relief.  I kinda doubt it though...

5 comments:

  1. Please forgive me- but I can't help but chuckle! I have been there. There have been times when I thought I needed to bring the phone with me to the bathroom in case I could not stand back up! LOL!!! It does get better... but OUCH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. Take some Motrin and remember "no pain, no gain". Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stretch!! Does your trainer do passive stretching after each session? It's almost as good as a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valiant, we did no stretching. We ran over and he had someone waiting. Must remember to do it myself Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep pushing through it! The pain means your muscles are getting STRONGER.

    ReplyDelete