Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Quote I Need to Remember

It's not who you are that holds you back,
it's who you think you're not.
~ Unknown

I saw this quote a few weeks ago and it resonated with me big time.  I have spent years wanting to lose weight and be thin, but constantly sabotaging my efforts time after time.  I did it yesterday.  Ugh.   I say I want to lose weight, I say I'm going to finally do it this time, I say I'm going to exercise, I say I'm going to eat right, I say I'm not going to let anything stop me.  And then I do.  A bad day at work.  Eating out with friends.  Weather looks overcast.  Any number of things stop me from doing what I say I'm going to.

This quote made me realize it's not just who I am, it's that I don't think of myself as the thin, active person I keep saying I want to be.  I think of myself as the person who is 75 pounds overweight who walked out of college in 1998.  I don't think of myself as active, even though I run, bike, take fencing lessons, and work with a trainer.  It's really a mindset and I have the wrong one.

This is how I want to see myself in the end.

Yea, I know it's a trick of the glass, but this is what I want to look like when I hit my goal weight.  that's hubby next to me.  :-)

So, what I need to start doing is thinking like the person I want to be and not the person I have been.  It's going to take some time, but I think a new mindset is what I need. I need think react to stimuli the way I would when I am at my goal weight, not respond to stimuli the way I do now.  This is going to be a major mental hurdle and I don't think I'm going to get it right straight away, but I think it will get me to my goal.  The more you practice something, the better you get.  Here's to keeping my goal forefront in mind.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment