Friday, July 6, 2012

My other love

In case you're new around these parts, I'm a HUGE baseball person.  I played softball as a kid (3rd base, short stop, and catcher) and loved it.  I started watching baseball in 1986 because there was nothing on television over the summer and I understood the game.  Being from South Jersey, I became a fan of the local team - the Philadelphia Phillies.  Yea, one of the worst teams in baseball history.  Trust me, I get it.

But, the last seven years, they actually played well.  In 2005 and 2006 they missed the play-offs by one game.  I blame this on horrible Mays.  In 2007, they won the National League East and made it to the play-offs for the first time since 1993.  The in 2008 the culmination of 28 years of waiting happened and the Phils won the World Series!!  Then they (apparently) started their steady decline - 2009 lost the World Series to the Yankees (!#(&%R@)#*@($&@*#&$#*), 2010 lost the National League Championship Series to the Giants, and in 2011 lost the National League Championship Series to the Cardinals. 

And now?  What the F*** happened?  They are atrocious!  I have no idea what happened between October 2011 and April 2012, but it seems as if the entire team (minus Carlos Ruiz Chooooooooooooooooooooooch!) has forgotten how to play the sport.  In the past I could say the Phils had awful pitching, but decent defense and hitting.  This year, there is nothing about the team that's good.  The starting pitching is awful, the bullpen is awful, defense is awful, and there is no offense.  I just don't get it.  How do you go from having the best record in all of Major League Baseball to being last in the NL East and out of first place by 13 games (and to the NATIONALS!)? 

It is so frustrating.  I usually don't get all that upset over a loss here or there.  But, they are 37-47.  10 games under .500.  Insane and infuriating.  I wouldn't be so upset over all this if they were mediocre this year or if they hadn't had THE BEST RECORD in baseball last year, but really?!?!?  What is going on?!?!?!?

If anyone has seen my team, could you please direct them to Citizen's Bank Park in Philly?  Thanks!

Just so this isn't a total downer...
Chase Utley
Don't you just want to take him home?
Brian you may want to ignore the above....

No comments:

Post a Comment