Sunday, January 20, 2013

January Get Out & Run 9 miles


I was supposed to get up yesterday morning and run 9 miles. I woke up at 10:45 a.m. Yea....

So, I got up this morning to run 9 miles. I signed up for the January Get Up & Run program and designated today's 9 mile run as my "race." I wanted to hold myself accountable for it. And good thing I did!

This run was not easy. While on said run I realized I haven't run more than 5 miles since October (Atlantic City Half Marathon to be exact). Wow. What the heck was I thinking???

I look at long runs in terms of out x miles and back x miles and concentrate on the x miles rather than the total mileage. Runs over 6 miles kinda frighten me. I need this breaking up the run into smaller components to make it manageable mentally for me.

I had a goal for my Get Up & Run race of 9 miles in 2:00:00. Sadly, it did not happen. I did run 5 miles in less time than I did last week, a whole minute faster. That's something. When I realized I wasn't going to run 9 miles in 2:00:00, I decided I had to negative split the run. And with 15 seconds to spare, I did. Phew! Total run 2:09:45.

This run tells me several things.

1. I gotta run more during the week.
2. I gotta get stronger cardiovascularly.
3. I gotta strengthen my back.
4. I gotta find somewhere to run with less hills!


No comments:

Post a Comment