Monday, January 21, 2013

Training for Shamrock Half Marathon Take 2


Last year at this time I was training for the Yuengling Shamrock Half Marathon (and 8k). This year, I'm doing the same. I wrote up a training plan both years and wrote it in my planner. I write up how many long miles I will run each week, knowing that I will need two 30 minute runs during the week and some cross-training (bike/elliptical) and of course working with my trainer.

In 2012, I had a fabulous training for Shamrock. I rocked the run on the treadmill, took some classes at the YMCA, worked the bike/elliptical, and busted my butt with the trainer. I PRed both races in 2012.

This year I'm having a hard time getting my butt in gear to train hard. I will say I'm cutting myself some slack at the beginning of the month for when I fell and cut my knee open and could barely walk without pain. Some things you just can't control.

I looked at my calendar from 2012 to see what my mileage was last year. How long were my long miles? If you read yesterday's post, you'll see my training plan called for 9 miles. Last year, my longest run (and it was the same weekend last year) was 6 miles. Ummmm...WTH? How did I do that to myself?

I'm starting to see why this year's training schedule seems harder than last year. I didn't reach 9 miles until February 18, a full month later than I did this year. This year's training plan has me running 3 runs over 10 miles though I have decided all three runs will be 10 miles. My goal is to get 10 miles at 2:00:00 so I stand a chance of running Shamrock under 2:50:00.

Yesterday's run made me realize I need to get my weekday runs in. I have to get those 30 minute runs done. I need to find some class to take at the Y that will make me move in ways the body isn't used to. I'm getting pretty good at using the treadmill/elliptical/bike right now and I'm back with the trainer.

So, even though I'm way ahead of where I was last year that run taught me a lot. And better yet, I have seven weeks to make some changes. I have seven weeks to still reach my goal.

6 comments:

  1. Getting ones butt in gear to train can be hard. I'm having the same problem. Sadly I'm really not even training for the 5Ks I'm doing, and I'm getting bad times too. I just got a running coach, so I know this will help me build up mileage for my first half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I'm not alone. I've been considering a running coach, but haven't figured out how to find one. How did you pick one or was this person someone you know? Let me know how it goes! And I hope your training starts getting back on track. It's still early in the year, we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen the Marathon Mom is going to be my coach. I asked her a bunch of questions and told her what I'm looking for and what my schedule is like. We will be working on a month-to-month plan for my first half. I don't personally know her, but she has been very open and understanding about what I'm looking for. Let me know if you need more info.

      Delete
    2. I wondered about that. So you don't have an in-person coach? I can't decide if I want someone I actually meet with or if I can do it via email/phone calls. Not sure which would be more in holding me accountable.

      Delete
  3. Many people think they need to do speedwork to get faster. What really makes you faster (without getting injured) is slowly increasing your long run. Even though the long runs might be slower, but the fact you are out there run/walking makes a difference. When I trained for my first marathon, I started doing run/walks (run 1 mile, walk for 1 min) and I got so much faster! Good luck with your training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one sense I agree. I believe the long run is more important to long distances than doing the short runs and missing the long runs. For me, cross-training and weights have been what helped me get faster. It made my legs stronger overall, which allowed me to run faster without feeling tired. I ran a 3 hour 16 minute half in Philly in November 2011, then did 30 minute weekday runs (2), cross-training (stationary bike/treadmill walks with incline/cardio kickboxing class), and working with a trainer and finished 2012 Shamrock Half Marathon in 2:51:15. Trying to get back into what I did last year to finish Shamrock strong this year. :)

      Delete