Monday, May 6, 2013

Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.

Yup. Pretty much. Sure, you can have friends that encourage you. You can have a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend who will be by your side. But, in the end the only person who can push you to eat healthy, get to sleep on time, go for that run, try something new is you. 

I know this and yet, I rely on others to get me moving. I had been doing training sessions at the gym, using the fact that I paid for sessions and someone was waiting for me to get there. Hubby and I have been going to the gym on Tuesday nights to weight lift and do a little cardio. I've been using him as a crutch to lift and go to the gym when I would rather sit home. 

On days when it comes down to me, I have a tendency to skip. When it comes down to going after work on either Wednesday or Thursday, I make excuses. I don't push myself to go. I'm too tired. I should clean. I need to do laundry. There's always something. 

It has to end. Today, I went to the gym for a TRX demo. In case you don't know what TRX is, it was "born in the Navy SEALs, Suspension Training body weight exercise develops strength, balance, flexibility and core stability simultaneously."

I liked it. The demo was only 15 minutes, but I liked it. It was challenging. I remember when the gym on the West Shore started offering classes. I told my trainer that I would totally fall over, I don't have the balance for that kinda workout! And yet, today I went in and pushed myself to check it out. And I believe I'll be signing up for the first 6 weeks of sessions (it's an additional fee to our gym membership).

Sometimes it's hard to push oneself. It's not easy doing something that can cause failure. I've never been the type of person who handles that well - failure. Ever since I was a child, I wouldn't do something until I knew I could do it without failing. I rolled, skipped crawling, then started walking. Yea. Who needs crawling? It's just in my nature not to look dumb by failing. Well, I'm going to try something and I may fail, but I pushed myself to get outside my comfort zone and challenge myself. Here's to pushing one's limits!

Do you need others to push you to your goals? Have you pushed yourself past your perceived boundaries? How did it go?


No comments:

Post a Comment