Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Not as motivational as you would think

The hardest thing about exercise is to start doing it. 
Once you are doing exercise regularly, the hardest thing is to stop it.

I have been reading this over the past few weeks as a motivational/inspirational quote. It is always with some photo/image of working out or a gym. On the surface, it's a great thought. Once you get into a rhythm, a habit of exercise you won't be able to stop, you won't want to stop. 

The problem is, that's not true. It sounds good, but in all honesty it isn't accurate. Sure there will be plenty of people who get  into working out and feel it's weird not to, but there are just as many people who don't feel that way. I don't per se. I have been running for 5 years and there are still many a day when I don't want to work out. There are many a week where I skip all exercise. Sure, I feel a little upset over it, but it doesn't push me to get out there and do something. I actually have to pay for a gym membership/personal training/class membership to make me go. It's not something that I long for, something I have to do. 

I think this quote is so misleading to those who are just starting out. There are ebbs and flows to motivation. There are days when working out is the last thing you want to do, but if you think you'll always want to work out, you may feel like a failure if you don't. I know the idea behind it is work out long enough, it just becomes habit, but to some it will always be a struggle. To me it will always be a struggle. 

What do you think? Is working out something you instinctively do? Or do you struggle with it from time to time? 

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Like Newton says- an object in motion will stay in motion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many days where I just want to be lazy and not go out, and easily one day turns into two. Before my most recent half marathon, envy race I ran turned into months of no running afterward, because it was so easy to just not be active. Now, I try to remember how I feel when I do, knowing a day or two off won't kill me, but unless I'm really sick, I try not to allow more than a day at a time, because two easily turns into a week, for me.

    Not everyone is a gym rat, and I'm okay with not being one. But I do want to always remember how good it feel to feel good about myself, and that helps keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The idea that just because you exercise consistently doesn't mean you will always do so. It doesn't just become as automatic as breathing. I struggle many a day with going for a run or the gym. Most days I get my butt there, but there are many that I let a little obstacle stop me. For people just starting out exercising, I just think that they may take this as there will come a point where it's second nature and when it doesn't, feel like they failed. And once that idea sets in they could undo all the weeks/months of hard work.

      Again, I could just be wrong. I just know this is how I feel and I imagine I can't be the only one.

      Delete
  3. It has taken me YEARS to get to the point where working out/running is just something I do; the second nature you talk about. I still have days where I get to the gym and I don't know what I want to do and my workouts are junk, but luckily those days are few and far between. I've gotten to the point where I hate days off. I feel like yuck, sluggish and tired. Yet, there are many days/evenings where I would just rather take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm not saying you can't get that way. I just think that, especially new exercisers, it's hard to get yourself to that point. I will always rather go home and watch tv. It's a struggle to go to the gym/go for a run. I know it's the better option, but even after 5 years of running, it's a struggle.

      Delete