Friday, June 7, 2013

No half marathon training



This post might upset quite a few runners out there, but tomorrow, Saturday, June 8, 2013 is the first Saturday this year I am not training for a half marathon. Starting in December 2012, I was training for the Shamrock Half Marathon in March, then right after I started training for Zooma Annapolis Half Marathon. I've never done that before. Back to back half marathons. I usually run one in the winter/spring, then one in the fall. This year I put them both in the spring/summer.time frame.

I am inordinately excited about this. I know to those runners who love running and those who are injured this is going to sound like blasphemy, but... To me, it is a sense of relief. I like running. I like the feeling I get after a long run. I like the feeling after running faster than I thought I could. But, sometimes training for a long race feels like drudgery. I know, I know if it does I shouldn't do it. See the above reasons I like running (add in racing, seeing new sights, t-shirts, and medals).

So, tomorrow I may or may not go for a run. I may sleep in. I may go to the gym. Or I may lace up my sneakers and head out the door for a run. Who knows? I have the freedom tomorrow to do whatever I want!

Do you look forward to a time when long race training ends and you can relax?

2 comments:

  1. I always think I'm looking forward to not training and then before I know it I've set another goal and start training again. Post-race and not training is like the post-holiday blues for me.

    Enjoy not training and relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks! Since my first half in 2011, I've done one half in the spring, then a bunch of 5ks and 10ks through June. Then take July & August off (I don't do well in the heat), then back at it in Sept. This training for a half later in the spring was rough. I'm kinda happy about this time off, though I still have my Baltimore Women's Classic on June 23. :-) Then two months of biking/gym/TRX.

    ReplyDelete