Monday, September 2, 2013

Motivational Monday

It's always your favorite sins
that do you in
~ You and Tequila by Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter

This is one of my favorite song lyrics because it is so true. No matter what your sin is - drugs, alcohol, food, work, exercise, etc. - it will kick you in the butt unless you consciously recognize it. 

I know what my sins are. One of my biggest one is sweets. I eat them like they are going out of style. Seriously. If there is something with sugar in it, I'm generally all over it. Though I admit that overly chocolate desserts/candies/pastries are beyond me. That's why I have my husband. Those are right up his alley! LOL!

I love sugary desserts, snacks, just about anything. I know it. I always have. My dad was the cook in my family growing up, but my mom and grandmom were the bakers. Everything was made from scratch. At family parties we had a whole table full of desserts - multiple pies, cake, cookies, brownies, and sometimes candies and/or pastries. I come from a large extended family. Currently there are 51of us if we all get together. There weren't this many when I was a child, maybe 30, but that's a lot of people at a family party for just grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins so we always had to have a big dessert table to cater to everyone's tastes.

Growing up, food/sweets were the reward for a job well done, for consolation for a bad situation, or just an after dinner dessert. The problem is, I never got past this. I eat way too many sweets overall. Occasionally for Lent I'll give up sweets. I do very well during Lent. The first week is tough because I'm so used to grabbing something sweet after dinner that it's hard to find something, but then I adjust and it's fine. Of course, come Easter Sunday I'm all over whatever dessert there is at the table. Sigh. The Lenten Resolution never lasts past Lent.

I tend to think it's hard to change when you don't know what you need to change. I know sweets are one of my big Achilles heels. I need to address this to take charge of my health and feel better about myself. So, I plan on cutting back on my sweets. There's no reason I eat as many as I do except out of (bad) habit. It's not going to be easy, but I know it will be worth it.

What is your "favorite sin that does you in?" Is it food related or other?  

No comments:

Post a Comment