Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A need for speed

A few weeks ago I joined the 21st century and got my first smart phone. I have been having lots of fun with it - there are more cat pictures been taken than any person has a right to have taken!

I have picked up a few free apps as well - solitaire, Facebook, Twitter, Yachty, the DD app. I also picked up Run Double - the Couch to 5k program.


RunDouble talks you through your workout, helping you to achieve your fitness goals, track, and share your results with friends. Start with C25K or Couch to 5K, and get running 5K in just 9 weeks, then progress to 10K and even a half marathon.

I know I've run 5ks, 8ks, 5 mile, 10ks, and half marathons, but I also know I want speed. My last two half marathons were slow. The last one I actually had a blast at (minus out the last mile where my fingers hurt.so.much.), but the one before that was miserable. I have had one really good half marathon (2012) and I want that to be the rule rather than the exception.

So, last night I started the C25k program through RunDouble. It starts with 5 minute warm up, 30 sec run/180 sec walk x 8, then a 5 minute cool down. I have to admit, that 30 second run felt sooooo short! But, I ran all 8 of them at 5.3 on the treadmill, which is faster than I've run on the treadmill all year. That's gotta be a good sign, right?

Over the next 9 weeks, I'm going to go back to basics and complete the C25k program. I'll admit, when I started running, I couldn't even think about doing the C25k program because I was so out of shape. This time around I know I can do the program, it's just how fast can I get myself to do it!

What do you do to build speed? Have you ever gone back to basics to improve your running?

1 comment:

  1. Good way to improve speed! I hardly work on speed (but I should). For me increasing the mileage helps also to improve my speed. So when I trained for a marathon, I PR'ed in all other distances.

    ReplyDelete