Monday, April 21, 2014

Motivational Monday


I figure most of my readers are either runners or at least know that I run. I'm not the best runner in the world (I freely admit this and I'm not putting myself down at all by saying it.), but I do appreciate good running and what it takes to be a fast runner. In Boston today, the 2014 Boston Marathon happened (actually there are still lots of fantastic people still running as I type this!).

I couldn't find the marathon on t.v., but did find it on-line and I watched the men and women cross the finish line today. Watching these elites of the sport finish the race is awe inspiring. How quickly these runners go, the condition of their bodies, their dedication to the sport is incredible. The fact that the top four women beat the course record is insane! How impressive is that??!!??

The photo for today's Motivational Monday is of Meb Keflezighi crossing the finish line - the first American male since 1983 to do so. I admire Meb for many reasons - he is my age, he runs with heart, he is humble, he is dedicated, he is kind. According to post-race interviews, he was at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon and left the stands about 5 minutes before the bombing. He decided then that he would run Boston in 2014 and hopefully win. Today, when he ran, he had the names of the four people who died in the blasts on his bib.

What I am taking from today's race is never to count yourself out. Meb didn't. He is almost 39 years old. He decided he wanted to win this race for the people of Boston. When he crossed the line his face was sheer joy. When he stood on the podium holding the trophy with the National Anthem playing he cried. This is what following your dream and succeeding does to a person.

And don't count out the other 36,000 runners today. These people are just as amazing. These people, who will never get the recognition the elites receive, have trained their butts off! They sacrificed much to qualify to run Boston and are running their hearts out today. They are also oh so motivational because they do this for themselves, their family, and for reasons that reflect 36,000 people.

So today, be motivated by the elites and the 36,000 people who lined up in Boston to run their hearts out and prove to the world that the acts of last year's race will not stop runners from toeing the line. If they can do it, so can we!

No comments:

Post a Comment