Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What a Fantabulous Run!

After work I decided to head to the park and run. I go to a park near the house that's very hilly. The same park I ran on Monday night. I have traditionally run a mile there because there's a HUGE hill and I just couldn't get past it. So tonight, I took a short cut. There's a bypass to that hill and tonight, I took it. By taking the short cut, I was able to run two laps at the park rather than the one I've been running for about 2 months.

I started out slow. Knowing that I normally run the course faster than I was going, but I thought distance over time. I'm hoping I got that right! I was really excited that I was holding up well. I will say that the first little bit of the short cut was rough! I expected it to be easy compared to the big hill, but no. The first 20 feet was worse than the big hill. LOL! That'll teach me to take the short cut. ;-)

I came around to where I started and began the second lap. I was only at .75 miles at this point. Normally, when I'm back to the start, I've run a mile, so that was hard to wrap the mind around. But, onward I trudged. And trudge is an apt word. I was not going fast at all, but I was moving.

The second lap wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Though on the way back to the start point, I dreaded that short cut area. I knew that those 20 feet were going to kill me, but if I could get past them, I could do the rest of the run. When I got to the end of the two laps, I had run 1.6 miles in 24:51. It was slow, but I've never run more than a mile at this park, so I was fine with my time. I almost felt like I could have gotten to 2 miles, but I decided I didn't want to push it. That course is really hilly.

So, that's my fantastic run and I'm really excited about it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm thinking Friday I may run again and aim for 2 miles. It's only four-tenths of a mile more, right?

    ReplyDelete