Thursday, August 19, 2010

Question

I thought for fun it would be neat to answer some of the questions I posted earlier in the week.  I encourage you to do the same and feel free to share them with me!  I'd love to hear your answers.

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

I'm glad this was the first question on the list.  I find it pretty timely actually.  I am coming up on a somewhat milestone birthday (35) and honestly, I don't feel this old.  I don't feel like I'm in college anymore, though I know people who do.  I feel more like I'm in my mid- to late-twenties.  I'm not sure why though.  I didn't travel as much then as I do now.  I had a job and we rented a townhouse, so in reality, I'm in a point in my life where I I am where I should be (sorta) for my age, but I don't feel it.  I feel as if I'm younger than this number that seems like it wants to define my life.
Maybe it's because we don't have children.  Maybe to me, that's what makes a person of my age, well...my age.  At this stage in life, so many people have children of various ages (depending on when they had them).  I have plenty of friends and family who have children or had children at my current age.  Maybe that's why I feel younger than I truly am, because I don't have the responsibility of small or older children.

Maybe it's because we go out like we are younger.  We go to bars, we go to breweries, we go to beer and wine tastings.  We go on vacations, we go visit friends, we visit family.  We have no limitations on our time and money, except the ones we put on ourselves.  Yes, we're saving for retirement and yes, we pay our bills, but we go out and have fun.  We meet people of all ages and enjoy our time with them.  Heck!  On our Italian tour, our friends were 20, 24, and 27 respectively.  While I felt a tad bit old while around them, they didn't see me as old.  They saw me as one of the gang.  We Skype a few times a month and are trying to plan another vacation for next year.  

I guess I shouldn't be so worried about my perceived age being younger than my actual age.  I like feeling younger than I am.  I like acting like an adult, but not worrying about what I should be doing.  One day I'll feel 35, but I'm hoping it won't be until I'm much, much older.

No comments:

Post a Comment