Thursday, June 30, 2011

Baltimore Women's Clasic 5k - Race Review

In 2009, I signed up for my very first 5k race.  I had no clue if I would finish it, but people I know swore I could run 3.1 miles...back to back.  So, I searched around and found a 5k that was local (Baltimore) and all women.  As much as I'm not a sexist person, I didn't want to worry about athletic men running past me, wondering what the heck I thought I was doing.  So, the Baltimore Women's Classic 5k was decided upon.  That year, I had the best 5k experience I think you could ask for for your first - cool weather, great organization, lots of people (which implied I wouldn't come in last), and surprises at the end (well, surprises to me because I apparently missed the part where they give you a rose as you cross the finish line)!  I swore then and there that I would run it each year I was able.


Last year, I ran it again.  I said I would!  :-)  The weather did not cooperate and it was the third 5k race I did in 8 days.  Nothing like those people who run 52 marathons a year or what have you, but for me three 5k races that close together was killer!  I improved my time over the year before, but it was the worst time of the three 5ks.

This past Sunday was the 36th annual Baltimore Women's Classic 5k.  Hubby and I hit town on Saturday (after he ran the Dreaded Druid Hill 10k!).  Each year we have booked ourselves a hotel room and chill out.  It's a nice little trip.  This year, we got to check out Dragon Boat racing at Tide Point thanks to our friend Ada who races with BCDB.  They are great people and we had a good time watching the final championship races.

We then headed off to check into our hotel and grab dinner.  We tend to use Hotwire and let them find us a place...which generally turns out to the the Sheraton.  LOL!  We checked in, washed up, changed, and headed off to B&O Brassiere, at the Hotel Monaco.  Love both of these places!  But especially the B&O Brassiere.  They have great food, awesome atmosphere, and an incredible chandelier!  I had a tasty dinner of pizza with arugula.  It's also the closest pizza to Italian pizza I've had here in the States!

  Then, we decided on dessert.  How can you go wrong with dessert?  Simply, you can't.  :-)   I had a lemon curd creme brulee with dehydrated blueberries and a molasses shortbread cookie.  It was better than the description!

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel because we were both really tired.  At least hubby had an excuse.  Me?  Not so much.  No idea why I was so tired...oh yea.  It might have something to do with the entirely carbby dinner I had!

But, we got up the next morning and got ready.  I had everything laid out the night before, so I was ready fairly quickly.  We walk to the starting line rather than drive.  It's a nice warm-up and I like walking through Baltimore.  The start was the same location as last year, Rash Field, which is on the other side of the harbor from the Aquarium.  Here's a shot of me pre-race with the Harbor in the background.


We hung out until close to the start, then headed over to the start line.  Then we parted, me to get in line and hubby to find a spot to get some photos.  The start of the race was broadcast on the local morning show, which I thought was pretty cool.  I was towards the back, which is where I belong.  ;-)  This year there were over 3,000 people running!  It's such a great race for that reason.

Can you see me?  I'm in orange.  heehee!

We got started, basically starting out the same way we went last year.  But, due to construction we had a new course.  And the first turn was murder!  I know others may not have felt the hill you faced as you turned the corner was hard, but I sure did!  I was anticipating the flatness of the previous two years and I was entertaining thoughts of having a PR.  When I saw the hill, I knew that was just a dumb idea.  LOL!  But, I got up it and kept going.  I tried to use the run/walk program, but my Garmin decided to be a butt and it didn't catch on until too late.  So, I took a couple walking breaks throughout the race.  I will say, I felt better running it with those walk breaks thrown in. 

We wandered through the neighborhoods near the Inner Harbor, but just off.  Then we turned a corner and you could see the Harbor!  It was good to see since I knew that meant I was pretty close to being done.  With the 1 minute walking breaks, I was feeling pretty good at this point.  As I came back onto Key Highway, hubby was there! 

From there, it wasn't far to the finish.  Headed off to the condo development next to Rash Field, which has a beautiful path on the water where you finish the race before hitting Rash Field for the finish line.  I came around the corner and caught sight of the clock and said out loud, "Ok, seriously?"  This is because I anticipated the time being earlier than it was.  The girl in front of me turned around and said the finish line isn't that far, you can do it!  I laughed since we were totally on different pages. 


I crossed the finish line and got in line.  The finishers shoot was a tad bit crowded this year.  But, as you go along, you get a cold, wet towel, a cold bottle of water, and a rose.  :-)  After coming out of the shoot, I headed off to see hubby and grab some grub!  Oh, and that time was my gun time, my chip time was 42:02, which is more than 2 minutes faster than last year!

I also had the chance after the race to meet a new friend.  She's running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February 2012 and lives a little bit south of me.  We "met" on the Facebook page for the race and decided to meet up afterwards.  It was great meeting her and her family!  It was her first 5k and she kicked butt!  I'm looking forward to the fall/winter when we start our training runs together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Baltimore Women's Classic 5k is a great race.  If you're in the area and are looking for a good one, I totally recommend it!  Great goody bag, great organization, great post-race area, and a fun location.  Thanks BWC for another fantastic race!

2 comments:

  1. glad you had a nice race!! running buddies are good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really had a running buddy before. She's running the Princess Half in February, I'm running the Shamrock Half a few weeks later, so our training programs should be close enough. It will be nice to have someone to run with for a change. :-)

    ReplyDelete