Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mental Mindset (running)

The  last time I ran 10 miles it looked like this.  Yup, snow everywhere.  It was the end of January and I was 6 weeks out from the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I was nervous, but kinda excited.  Not only was I going to run 10 miles for the first time, I was going to do it in the snow.  Bad-ass baby!

And I did. It was kinda boring. I had to run around lots of snow, un-cleared sidewalks, and watch out for ice.  But, I did it.  And it would be the longest run before the Princess Half Marathon.  For reasons I can't remember, I never managed to get my 12 miler in.  I would like to say it had something to do with snow, but I have a feeling it had more to do with being lazy.  I didn't run that week.  The following week I ran 8 miles.  I had high hopes of running my 12 that day, but uh, it was the windiest day ever. Windy as in siding was coming off someone's house, a mailbox came out of the ground, and someone's lawn ornaments were rolling down the street.  That 12 mile run went down to 10 then 8.  I decided I wanted to live to see the Disney Princess Half Marathon.

And I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon the following Sunday.  Ran the whole thing with only having run 10 as my longest training run.  And last Saturday I had a 10 mile training run.  Now, I have no desire to run.  I feel like it's time to run the Philly Half Marathon.  I am ready to go.  I'm not prepared for another 8 weeks of training, of running, of not racing in the Philly Half Marathon.  What's up with that? 

As I've said in the past, I love this program.  I love how it works with my lazy running attitude.  I'm just not sure I was prepared for being this  prepared for Philly already.  I'm going to need major motivation for the next 8 weeks...

5 comments:

  1. keep your base up. it's more about the daily runs than it is the long run when preparing for the race. so if anything, don't lose your motivation for the daily runs. what is the distance of your next long run? when i ran my first half, i obviously had some longer than 13 mile runs since I'm training for that marathonthati'llneverdoagain in October. and really, having done some longer runs, the half felt like a walk in the park. since then, i've wondered why most half training plans don't throw in a 13 or 14 miler in for training. don't most plans have you run the longest of 12. with 8 weeks to go, if you're already up to 10, challenge yourself woman. you got this! ...and now that i said it's the base and not long runs that are important. lol but really, maybe take a week off and do some alternate, but comparable cardio and then get back to your daily runs. i had to do that about a month ago with my training. i was going bat shit and started to hate running. the small break helped me get motivated again. give yourself some new running challenges. maybe throw in one speed workout a week to give you some variety. change your running route....running out of idea...but i DO know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have been told it's more important to keep up the long runs than the shorter ones. I had this problem when training for Princess and was told to make sure those long runs are done and not sweat the shorter ones. Hmmm...

    My half training plan has been running 11 this coming Sat. (10/8). Two weeks before the half, I have 14 mile run scheduled, then a step-back week at 5, then Philly Half Marathon. But, I will admit, if something happens and 14 doesn't get run that day, I'm not going to be too upset. I have an 11 mile run this weekend and in 2 weeks I have a 12.5 mile run scheduled. And having run 13.1 before, I'm pretty sure I can swing it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do the 14. it will make race day feel easier. i don't know. my running coach says that while the long runs are important, you HAVE to keep your base runs consistent. it has worked for me so far and my endurance has obviously improved. i think having a solid base run schedule actually helps to make the weekend long run more endurable. my coach wants you to have a 6-day running week, although 5-days seems to work ok for me. either life gets in the way for that 6th day, or i just want to freaking cross train and not run, just for the break. my coach is a bit of a nut, but he's good and has the history to prove it. getting a running coach for my training was a great decision, mostly because i didn't know what i was doing as far as training for a marathon and learning how to properly speed train. plus it has given me some new running buddies to train with and those buddies offer great motivation. if i were training on my own, i would have quit by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plan calls for 3 days a week - two 30 minute runs and one long run on the weekends (varying lengths depending on the week). I like it. Good ole Jeff Galloway. LOL!

    I would love a running coach, but don't have the money for that. I train on my own and while I don't need training buddies, it would be nice to have someone to help make sure I'm running correctly or challenge me to run faster/longer/etc. I was thinking of looking into it when I get a job, just not sure right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you have a fleet feet near you? they have some free running groups. i know they have a free "hot feet" and "cold feet" run each week...the long run they offer on Sunday. at least in syracuse.

    ReplyDelete