Monday, June 25, 2012

After the first eight weeks

Friday night brought the first eight weeks of fencing lessons to a close.  Fridays are such a bad day for fencing for me because I move non-stop at work.  I am scheduled basically to  page all day, which means I'm on my feet for about 6 hours.  Then to go fence for 1.5 hours is rough.

But, Friday was the last day of the first session.  I wasn't sure what to expect because we didn't have class last week due to a scheduling conflict on the instructors part.  When we walked in, we quickly found out we were going to bout (basically fight each other).  It was a round robin tournament where we each competed against each other once to see who would come out on top.  Of course, our instructor told us not to put too much stock in the winner since it was the first time we did this.

Only 5 of us out of 10 attended class Friday night, which made it a little difficult since we didn't have an even number, but we each got 4 matches in each.  I went a woeful 1-3.  :-(  Though, I should have been 2-2, but a point that would have won me the second match wasn't counted and then my opponent came back (thanks hubby!). 

If you've ever seen a fencing match (a real one, on a strip not the fancy movie fencing), it is a workout!  Holy!  Each match makes you move every part of your body and quickly!  You have to be fast in body and mind.  It's quite a challenge! 

This Friday starts the second session of lessons.  Apparently, we're now intermediate beginners.  LOL!  The second session will have more personalized attention and I believe more bouting.  It should be interesting.  And hopefully the next time we compete against each other I can get more than 1 win.

No comments:

Post a Comment