Monday, July 9, 2012

Big and Rich

* Disclaimer: In case you don't know, this is not my current status of being.  It is the name of a country band I like.*


I listen to country music, in case you haven't figured that one out yet.  Though, I generally only go to one concert a year -- Tim McGraw.  But, this year I got to go to TWO concerts, Tim McGraw's Brother's of the Sun Tour with Kenny Chesney and the Big & Rich show at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, MD.

I really enjoy Big & Rich and it's been ages since they've put out any music or toured.  Oh wait.  Are you wondering who they are?  I'll bet you know a song by them.  Don't think ya don't.  Ever hear of a little song called "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy?"  Yup, that's them.  Told ya you knew something by them.  

We had a slight snafu out of the gate when we started to leave the house at 3:30 p.m.  When we got in the car, I checked the ticket and it said the concert was at 7:00 p.m.  Hmmm....that would mean we would get there at 5:00 p.m. and wait around 2 hours?  See, I swore the concert started at 5:00 p.m., as stated on the Aberdeen Ironbirds website.  So, in we go to check the internet.  And low and behold, the concert did start at 7:00 p.m.  Gates opened at 5:00 p.m.  Well...that would have been boring.  We decided to wait til 5:00 p.m. to leave, hopefully getting us there about 6:30 p.m., plenty of time to catch the whole show.

It was about an hour and a half drive down, with no traffic.  Kinda nice.  We parked the car and headed into the stadium.  Which, by the way, is kinda nice.  We walked in the front gates and in front of us was the t-shirt table.  I wasn't going to buy anything, so it held no interest for me.  Until....


OMG!  Is that Cowboy Troy????  I love Cowboy Troy!  He was out front selling t-shirts and meeting fans.  Initially I wasn't going to go over.  I have no idea what to say to famous people if I meet them.  Seriously.  I get all freaked out.  Then I decided that when in the world would I ever have this chance again?  So, we got in line to get a picture.  When we got to the front of the line, there was a slight catch, had to buy something.  So I bought a coozie for $5.00, which he then signed!  And hubby took a photo for me!


Yea, the boy it tall!  6'4"!  I barely reach his shoulders.  LOL!  Yea, and the conversation that went on?  I'm slightly embarrassed by it.  I told him that none of my friends like his music, but I do so I keep trying to convince them to listen.  Yea.  I'm a dork...

I thought we would just grab seats and watch the concert, but when we got there it wasn't too crowded so we headed down to the stage area.  And ended up not leaving all night.  LOL!  The show started early (who does that?!?!?), but we caught the one song I knew by Dustin Lynch - Cowboys and Angels.


After Dustin was Randy Houser.  I knew I knew something by him, but couldn't remember what.  And it took him all concert to play the darn thing!  I know when you don't have a ton of radio hits you wait til the end to play what people know, but still... 


Hubby liked this guy's hat.  I have to say it is impressive and the guy played almost the entire set while smoking a pipe.


Now, here's where I was disappointed.  I thought Cowboy Troy would get his own set after Randy Houser and before Big & Rich.  Nope.  It went from Randy Houser to Big & Rich.  :-(  One day I would love to see Cowboy Troy get his own set.  But, he does a great job on stage with B&R.  I just think he deserves his own set...

But, I will give B&R this, they put on one hellva concert!  It is high energy the whole time.  And it was hot!  Well, it was more humid than hot, but it was nasty out there and under those lights?  Wow.


During the set, they brought out two gentlemen who were military.  They are big supporters of the Armed Forces and they had a retired Marine and an active duty Marine (I think) come on stage and do a shot of Crown Royal with them.  Hubby thought they could have done a better shot with them to show their appreciation...


After the shot, they started to introduce their song "8th of November" about the 173rd Air Force Division when someone in the front row got their attention.  A gentleman attending the concert was a member of the 173rd and when they found out about it, they brought him and his daughter up on stage.  It took a few minutes to get them around the stage and to the steps, but they brought the gentleman and his daughter up with the other servicemen.  When they were introduced they also learned the daughter's husband had been killed in Iraq.

I

I have to say, it was pretty cool.  All four stayed on stage while the band played "8th of November."

Couple observations - people are rude at concerts!  There was a guy who literally hung on me as he grabbed his friend from behind.  I yelled at him and he looked at me like I had two heads.  Sorry, it's ridiculously hot out and I don't know you.  Get off me.  Then later, he started screaming at the stage because Big & Rich were telling the story of how they got their break.  The group next to me yelled at him to shut up because they didn't come to hear him!  His girlfriend was embarrassed to say the least.  A little while later they all moved back.  Thank God!  What fun is a concert if you're going to annoy the people around you?  

The other thing is, tickets weren't cheap to this shindig.  Well...more than I thought they would be considering the opening acts and that B&R haven't put out any real new music in years.  So, I was surprised to see so many people not know their music.  Oh, everyone knew "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," but some of their stuff from the first album?  People just stood there.  It was really bizarre to me.  Why spend that money for one song?  Or do people just go to concerts for one song?  I mean, I go to one concert a year and know every song because Tim McGraw is my favorite artist.  I'm willing to put out that type of cash to see him.  There are few people I am willing to do that for.  And I sure wouldn't put it out there if I only knew a couple songs.  It seems like a waste of money.

Anyway... other than the disappointment of not having a full set for Cowboy Troy it was a good show.  They are insane and they looked liked they were having a good time too.  Plus, we had pretty decent "seats" on the floor.  I normally don't like standing for a show, but we were right there so I didn't want to give that up.  LOL!


And one more....Cowboy Troy tearing it up with Big & Rich!


No comments:

Post a Comment