Sunday, October 7, 2012

4.5 Miles

This is how I felt like I ran today
 
It has been a rough couple of weeks. The shin splints have been bothering me and I haven't been running. I went out last Monday trying for three, but only got 1.5 miles due to Achilles pain. Ugh. The positive was the shins felt fine. 

Then I did nothing for a week. Scared. And kinda freaking out. Every time the shins would twinge I would think I was done for. I didn't know what this would mean for Atlantic City. I didn't run because I was afraid of what the answer to that question might be.

But today I decided to face the music. I determined a plan:

Sunday: 5 miles
This week: 2 thirty minute runs
Oct. 13: 8-9 miles

If the 5 miles goes well. Go out for the 30 minute runs. If they go well, go out for the 8-9 miler. Well, today was the 5 miler and it went better than I anticipated. I didn't have any issues until about mile 1 when the Achilles kicked in again. I stretched it and kept going. Pain in the Achilles throughout mile 1-2 and I would stop and stretch it out. Just over the 2 mile mark, the Achilles stopped hurting and I could concentrate on whether the shins hurt. Which, phew, they did not!

The biggest issue with the run? At mile 1 I had to use the bathroom. I was able to convince the brain I would be ok until the end of the run, but as I got closer to the car the bladder knew I was lying. It knew I was going to go for another half a mile and it wasn't having anything to do with that. I had to stop at 4.5 miles so as to appease the bladder. 

As much as I really wanted that 5 miles today to feel better about everything, I'm thinking it's ok. I know I didn't cut the run short due to pain, but because of the bladder yelling at me. As hubby said, there will be bathrooms on the course and this won't be a problem during the race. So, 1/4 of the plan down. Here's to two successful 30 minute runs this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment