Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday


If you are a Christian, today is Ash Wednesday. Well, even if you aren't a Christian today is Ash Wednesday. It is the beginning of Lent and according to Catholic Online "it is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption."

I'm not going to go all preachy on you or anything. I'm not a big fan of people who constantly push their religion on others. I am not that great a Catholic honestly. I spent 12 years in Catholic school, but my family never really went to church except for major holidays (Christmas/Easter). But, for some reason Lent always stuck with me and I follow through on the giving something up for Lent each year. In the past I have given up meat, sweets, and soda. The sweets were the hardest.

This year, I decided to do something different. I believe I will reduce my sweets intake, but I want to do something more than that. I want to do something positive this year. So, instead of finding things to give up, I'm going to pray the rosary each day and I am going to pray for someone each day of Lent. I want to do something for others, not just myself. I'm hoping my small efforts can make a difference for those that I love.

Do you give something up or try to do something positive for Lent? Have you made your Lenten Resolution yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment