Thursday, February 7, 2013

What am I doing?





 





On my way to the spin class I took on Tuesday night I was thinking. Mostly I was thinking about how freaked out I was. I'm by nature an introvert and doing something like taking a class by myself kinda scares the living daylights out of me. Initially, hubby was going to take the class with me, but the class started when he got off work so he couldn't make it. So, I had to go solo.

Anyway, in them midst of being freaked out I also thought, "why do I keep eating crap and wasting all the work I'm doing at the gym?" Then I kinda freaked out again because...well...I just trashed myself in my own head. I thought about how I've been doing all these workout challenges - 100 Days Challenge, 15 gym visits in 30 days, 13 in 2013 - and what does all that do me if I'm still eating junk?

For as much as I'm not a huge fan of exercise, never have been, I can always do one or the other really well, exercise or eat. But, that one little throw away thought (or as throw away as I thought it would be) has really got me thinking. Do I really want to put in 1-3 hours of exercise several days a week and then lose all the benefits by eating junk? Do I want to stay the way I am? Or would I rather think about my eating habits? Think before I put something in my mouth? Make better choices about what I eat?

And what I've come up with is, I want to eat better. I know I've said this in many different forms for years, but Tuesday night almost seems like my subconscious trying to make me see what I'm doing. Trying to get me to recognize I can't keep doing what I'm doing and expect different results. I keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting to lose weight, to run faster, to be in better shape.

So, here's to more conscious decisions in my meals. I guess if I don't, the brain may throw more little thoughts my way I may not like to hear!

2 comments:

  1. I say it for a long time too, but it is so hard to get started. I already have a tough time to read food labels! I need a good eating for dummies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That would be so helpful! I try to read the calories and sugar. Other than that, I'm awful at it. Then I get tired of eating the same stuff all the time and go willy-nilly off the right path for variety. Gotta stop that!

      Delete