Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday Long Run...Finally!

There are 20 days until The Love Run Half Marathon. I have run a grand total of 5 miles for my longest run to date for it. It's been exceedingly frustrating. Every time I went out for a long run, my ankle/calf where I slammed 37.5 pounds on it last month hurt. I didn't know what I did and was afraid I did something to the Achilles. I did not want a ruptured Achilles.

Today, I went out for 7.5 miles. I needed a good long run before the 30th to feel confident I won't be swept off the course. I also needed to know I could run that distance without my ankle/calf hurting.

I went with my intervals of half mile run/1 minute walk. Some weeks I've done 4 minute run/1 minute walk, but I went longer today. I got to half a mile, felt good. I got to one mile, felt good. I got to 1.5 miles, felt good. From here on out is when I have to start worrying. It always kicked in after 1.5 miles, closer to 2. I got to two miles, felt good. 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 miles. All pain-free! Woohoo!

I was so happy that I could run that far without any pain. I ran around town until 7 miles, half a mile shorter than I scheduled, but my hips were starting to bother me. I decided to cut it short to rest the hips. The last time I ran 7+ miles was Nov. 11th when I ran the National Veterans Day 11k Run. I'm ok with cutting this one a tiny bit short.

As a funny aside to today's run, it was the very first time on a training run of any length that I had to stop for a bathroom break. I've been running for 5+ years and this is the first time I had to seek out a bathroom so I could continue running. Thank you Sheetz for having a clean bathroom I could use!

How did your long run go today? Anyone else have warmer temperatures?


2 comments:

  1. Good job on a successful and pain-free run. Glad your ankle is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so happy. Maybe I'll get through my next half! LOL!

      Delete