Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day + 26 years & counting

While I do not have a photo of my dad in uniform at my house, here is my dad - he served in the Army in Korea, then joined the Coast Guard. He was stationed in Alaska was Alaska was hazardous duty.

About 4-5 months after I was born he had a heart attack - the first of three. He was medically discharged from the Coast Guard and became a stay-at-home dad when that was unheard of. I always say my personality is as odd as it is because of being raised by a dad. We would watch Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H*, The Munster's, McHale's Navy {though this one was not a favorite}, Thundercats...I think I just told you the t.v. line-up for Channel 17 in Philly in the early 1980s!

He had a routine every day that didn't change because of me. We would run errands and stop at various diners for coffee in the morning. He was a cook in the Coast Guard, so he was responsible for dinner each night. He would do laundry and clean the house. He helped me with my homework and special projects. I was a complete daddy's girl!

I feel that I had a uniquely special childhood. It all came to an end on November 11, 1988 when he went to the hospital with chest pains and never came home. It was the hardest day of my life and continues to be the saddest. Losing a parent at any age is devastating, but as a child it's just a little bit worse.

Today, I remember my dad and all Veteran's. It seems an appropriate day to celebrate his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment