Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Weekday Training Runs

For the past year, maybe more, I've been awful at getting in my weekday training runs. I scheduled them for Monday and Wednesday for 30 minutes. Then on the weekend would be my long run. But, I would only get one run in during the week...if I was lucky.

This year I switched up when I do my weekday training runs; I scheduled them for Monday and Tuesday. These are my days off during the week from work. My reasoning being I'm off all day, I can run in daylight, and not worry about running behind schedule for getting ready for work.

I went out Monday around 4:00 p.m. for a 2 mile run. I decided that right now I'm running about 2 miles in 30:00. I like the idea of just going out for a certain number of miles and seeing if I can get it faster.

I have a 2 mile run perfectly mapped out with 1 mile out and 1 mile back. It wasn't as cold as it's been around here, but I was all geared up.
I picked up this jacket over the weekend at T.J.Maxx for $24.99. This run was my first time taking it for a spin. Let me tell you, it's awesome! I'm debating going back for a second one. LOL! It's Avalanche, if you're interested and I'm getting nothing from either T.J. Maxx or Avalanche for saying that.

The last time I ran 2 miles only, it took me 29:30. On my long run Saturday, it took me about 32:--. I really hoped I could break 29:30 honestly. It's been so long since I've been consistent in my training that I know I'm in for a long way back.
Woot! Hello! I'll take it! That made me exceedingly happy. LOL! I know my 2 mile time isn't as fast as most people's, but right now that time is thrilling! I admit, I knew I could beat 29:30 at 1.5 miles and I booked it as much as I could. Who knew I would beat it by that much?

I apparently overdressed because by the end of my run I was hot! So, I had to strip a bit... {get your mind out of the gutter! I run near a middle and high school!}.

Then I actually went out for my run on Tuesday! Went back out at the same time {4:00 p.m.}, but this day the sun was shining bright! Needed the sunglasses for this run.
Yes, I'm wearing the same jacket. It's so comfy and warm! I believe it is my new go-to running jacket. I'm totally in love with it!

The run on Tuesday was 10 degrees colder than Monday's run. Though I remembered gloves Tuesday, I should have had something around my neck and should have doubled up on pants. Those were the two parts of me that were sooo...cold....

I decided I wasn't going to push this run like I did on Monday. Just 2 simple miles. Nothing fancy. Same course, same me. Nothing too crazy. Plus, the sidewalks were much better than they had been Saturday and Monday.

In the end, I was really consistent with Monday's run. Kinda surprised because I know I didn't push as hard in the last half mile Tuesday as I did Monday.
Fourteen seconds slower than Monday. I'd say that's pretty consistent, especially since I busted my butt Monday for that time and felt Tuesday I was just running normal. This is a mental boost. Good to see I can hit these times consistently. Maybe by next month I can hit the 27:00s?

Since it was 10 degrees colder Tuesday, the hood did not come down!
Plus, look at that sky! So pretty! The color is great. So nice compared to the fogginess from Monday!

How has your training been going so far? Is it cold where you are? Have you found gear that lets you run in sub-freezing temperatures?

No comments:

Post a Comment