Sunday, August 28, 2016

The post where I come back

Well, hello! How are you? How've you been since January? Has your year gone well?

I had all good intentions of getting back into writing this blog at the beginning of the year. I did a few posts, then stopped. I don't know what happened, but I'll be honest, I kinda lost the password to get into the blog. And with that, I stopped posting because I didn't feel like I had anything good to post about.

But, I decided I wanted to have this back. I wanted a place where I could share what's going on and ask questions and show off my cats. Ha! You will always see pics of the cats!

So, I'm back. I'm not going to write multiple posts about what has happened between January and August, so I'm going to do a quick recap and start going forward from here:

  • We had 30" of snow in these parts back in January. Made getting to work and training for Shamrock Dolphin Challenge a bit challenging;
  • At one point, our schedule became so busy we started doing our long runs on Friday nights. It was actually fun and I loved that the runs were done so I could sleep in on Saturday mornings and sometimes get a second run in on the weekend.
  • I ran my favorite three races in March - St. Patrick's Day 5k in Baltimore and the Dolphin Challenge in Virginia Beach. I didn't set any PRs, but I had fun. 
  • I missed running one of my other favorite races in April - Sole of the City 10k in Baltimore - because I killed my back the week before and I just could not imagine running a 10k. It made me sad because hubby ran it, but I knew I did the right thing.
  • In May, I decided with my Y membership running out in June, I needed a gym closer to home and one that I would have the ability to go on weekends. So, I joined the local Gold's Gym in town.
  • June changed my life dramatically {and I am not exaggerating} when I fell off a stair in my backyard and broke my right ankle. It has been a rough summer and it is not healing as fast as I hoped {and read about}.
  • I missed another race. I was signed up to run the Baltimore Women's Classic the following Sunday, but with a broken ankle, that sure didn't happen. I was not a happy camper.
  • June also saw us plan our 15th wedding anniversary trip. We go to Jamaica every 5 years and this is the year we go back. We visited the travel agent and booked our trip!
  • After the ankle break, the summer stopped. I used a scooter for almost two full months before getting the ok to start walking without it. It really messes with your mind when you always thinking about whether you can do something or not. I highly recommend not breaking anything from the waist down. Break a finger, your wrist, elbow, shoulder, ANYTHING but below the waste. It seriously impinges your ability to do anything.
  • August brought some good news - the ability to stop using the scooter, then the ability to start walking without the air cast, and my husband's 40th birthday.
  • I spent months {ask my friend who listened to me go on and on about what to do since February} planning a party for him, then I broke my ankle. I then had to re-do the whole party. It turned out well and we all had a fun time. That's what matters.
  • We also went to Atlantic City, NJ for three days to celebrate his birthday {and to try to take suspicion away from the party}. We had a great time, even with my limitations. I got to put my feet in the ocean, even though I couldn't go swimming. It was something.
So, we are all caught up. Here's what's coming up in the next few months:
  • Getting back normal movement in my ankle.
  • Working with the doctors on some health stuff that's come up because of the ankle.
  • Getting back to the gym, getting back to running {though I'm sure that will take longer than I want}
  • Work on getting my eating under control. I didn't adjust the diet with the broken ankle and gained some more weight. Need to find a way to start eating healthy and stay consistent with it.
  • Writing a journal article on the 1918 Influenza Epidemic in Philadelphia. My first attempt at being published.
  • I also have an idea for an ebook that once my journal article is done, I will be working on.
My goal is to get back to writing on the blog several times a week, probably not everyday, but sharing my life and answering questions if you have any. Thanks for checking back in and we'll chat soon!

Elizabeth the Kitten

 Love ya!

 
 Follow on Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment